Friday, January 29

Contentment

This week's discussion centered on Philippians 4:10-13:

 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Some points and questions we discussed:

First of all, what's going on in this passage?
  • Paul is explaining how he has been in hard times and good times; no matter the circumstance, God has been with him and he is not complaining.
  • Paul loves the Philippian church he is writing to, and he is encouraging them by letting them know where he gets his strength from.
What's Paul's "secret" of contentment?
  • He knows that God is with him and will bring him through everything. With God's help, he can suffer and he can rely on God in riches, too.
  • Paul has the same attitude no matter his circumstance - he lived completely independent of his circumstances and completely dependent on Christ.
  • He trusted in God's sovereignty in every situation - in poverty and in riches.
Paul had to LEARN this secret. How do you learn the secret of contentment?
  • You learn it by going through different circumstances: when you're rich, you learn to be content in riches; when you're poor, you learn to be content in poverty, etc.
  • As you face new situations, remember past experiences and prayers that God has answered in the past.
  • Depend on Christ and have union with Him (think John 15:5 - it's much easier to be content when you don't think you have to do everything yourself, but instead depend on Christ as he lives in you). 
  • Have goals and passions like Paul's (in his letter to the Philippians, look especially in chapter 3), and it will play itself out as you enter new circumstances.
What obstacles are there to finding our contentment in Christ?
  • Having our faith challenged by things like unanswered prayers or a major loss
  • Falling into the trap of individualism and becoming independent, even from God
  • Believing the world's message that we always need something better and comparing ourselves to others
  • Seeing the "wicked" prosper and wondering why we aren't blessed in the same ways
      • This topic is dealt with so much in Job and the Psalms: pay attention to the conclusion of Psalm 73 and also how passages like Ephesians 1:3 define "blessing"
In closing, I'll leave you with these questions again: How well are you living out all these things we talked about? In what areas do you need to grow?

Feel free to leave any thoughts or questions in the comments section.

No comments: